Friday, February 5, 2010

Planning the Garden

More planning the garden today. I did manage to trim down a few unruly existing shrubs, represented below by the red splotches next to the compost. My seed order should arrive soon and I'm ready to start the first seeds: onions and celery 12 weeks before the last frost. I'm having trouble deciding whether to till or not to till. The soil is pretty hard-packed and it would be great to loosen the holes for the fruit trees and shrubs before they get into the ground - as well as the enormous garden. I think it will depend a bit on whether the spring is a wet one, and whether we can safely work the soil before the fruit trees arrive in early April. Ambitious, I know.

Tonight the eggs come out of the automatic turner and they'll spend the weekend without turning, settling into position to better peck their way out. I haven't candled in a few days but will do it again tonight to check in. Just a short post, and back to planning the beautiful garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment