Sunday, February 7, 2010

Magical Peas and Garlic

Peas! Spring is almost here. Each January I start to get garden antsy and fill a few potfuls of soil with pea and bean seeds. This year I threw in some garlic cloves with the peas for them to climb. The garlic tastes so fresh and delicious in a broth or sprinkled on top of salads. Even if I don't get any peas the tendrils and shoots are divine, just like a crunchy garden pea. The beans are growing up their strings toward the rafters and are in a bit of a straggly stage, so are less photogenic and didn't make a photo.

I organized my tin of last year's seeds today, based on family and when they'll be planted. Hopefully we'll find some rich soil for the coldframe so I can get some greens and cold-weather crops started under lights and move them outdoors. Compost and soil will be our biggest challenge this first year. Nights are still in the teens but inside a coldframe I'm sure it will heat up quickly - I can already feel the sun's warmth!

No comments:

Post a Comment