Monday, December 27, 2010

First Harvest Monday

We are going to join Harvest Monday, at long last!  We've been watching and reading each week about all the other gardener's harvests, and this year I have a new scale for a gift.  It is a hanging weight scale and reads up to 120 pounds (good for the large harvests of roots, squash, etc).  I am also bidding on a postal scale for the kitchen, for produce under 15 pounds.



Tonight for dinner we searched the freezer and root cellar - to come up with a minestrone soup.  A quart of tomatoes, dried oregano, a mix of our dried beans, carrots, potatoes, fresh parsley, grated zucchini and an onion - all with a tablespoon of pistou per bowl.  The only thing from the store was the 1/2 cup of pasta to maintain our soup as a true minestrone.  I love emptying space in the freezer now since we've recently added 25 pounds of a beef critter from my father's farm.

We had the day off due to the storm and I organized my seed catalogues, finalized garden maps and plans and wrote up the 'shares' since we may have some other folks to feed from our garden this year.  I may post these examples of shares, although August and September are the most exciting.

6 comments:

  1. Great hanging scale weight! Minestrone is one of my favorite "throw in the kitchen sink" soups from the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finalized garden maps already? You're looking forward to spring even more than I am! I'm still mulling over the layouts in my head. Soon it will be in the computer, and then I'll study it some more. Have a great New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooooooooooooo, i want your scale! I love it. I am still trying to trick myself into recording every ounce I bring in but haven't figured out a me-proof system!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the scale. I mostly use a kitchen scale that goes up to 6 lbs. If I'm every desperate (not so far). I'd use the bathroom scale, which is a nice digital scale.

    Minestrone is one of my favorites. I haven't made it yet this winter, but hopefully will soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds nice. Hmmm that's the way to get the scale moving - not the greens but the starchy roots and squash.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Veggie PAK - I may have exaggerated a bit... The maps are filled in, but will probably undergo lots of edits before the plants go in the ground. I am finalizing the Fedco order since I'd like to start the onions, shallots and leeks pretty early. Also I missed out on parsnips and buttercup squash last year as they ran out! I know, I can always order from another catalogue, but I'm pretty loyal to Fedco.

    ReplyDelete